I’m Ana, a chemical engineer-turned-volcanologist, who's passionate about studying Earth's most amazing features. I do so via in-situ and remote observations, as well as through designing and conducting experiments in the lab. My research has focused on the reactions of volatiles (S, Cl) within rocks, glasses and ah in volcanic settings, which are still poorly understood.
Here at ANU, I aim to unravel the kinetics of reactions between SO2 gas and rock-forming minerals (e.g. pyroxenes), by combining novel experimental, analytical and modelling work. This research is not only exciting(!) but also relevant from various points of view; reactions between sulphur-gases and minerals are key agents for the re-distribution of sulphur on earth and planetary systems, thus are important to better understand ore-deposit formation processes and to gain accuracy in estimating sulphur budgets during volcanic eruptions and in geochemical cycles.
Besides science, I'm passionate about running and Anzac bikkies.
- 2020. PhD in Geochemistry (Dr. rer. nat. Summa Cum Laude), at the Earth and Environmental Sciences Department of the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (LMU) Munich, Germany. https://edoc.ub.uni-muenchen.de/26744/7/Casas_Ramos_Ana_Silvia.pdf
- 2015. Master in Geochemistry, (graduated with honors) at the Volcanology Department of the National Autonomous University of México (UNAM), México City, México. http://188.8.131.52/ptd2015/junio/0730444/Index.html
- 2012. Bachelor in Chemical Engineering, (1st Class Hons) at the Technological Institute of Tuxtla Gutiérrez (ITTG), Chiapas, México.
- 2022. ICEDS SEED funding. Project: Utilising solart-thermal energy for carbon sequestraion.
- 2015. CONACYT-DAAD (Mexican national council for science and technology-Deustcher Akademischer Austausch Dienst) Grant No. 409903
- 2013. CONACYT (Mexican national council for science and technology) Grant No. 367676
- Google Schoolar profile: https://scholar.google.com/citations?view_op=list_works&hl=de&hl=de&user=i9B9kqcAAAAJ
- Casas, A.S., Hornby, A., Poetsch, C., Cimarelli, C., Dingwell, D. 2021. A novel method for the quantitative morphometric characterization of soluble salts on volcanic ash. Bulletin of Volcanology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00445-021-01519-3.
- Wadsworth, F., Vasseur, J., Casas, A.S., Delmelle, P., Hess, K.-U., Ayris, P. Dingwell, D. 2020. A model for the kinetics of high temperature reactions between polydisperse volcanic ash and SO2 gas. American Mineralogist. https://doi.org/10.2138/am-2021-7691.
- Maters, E.C., Cimarelli, C., Casas, A.S., Dingwell, D.B., Murray, B.J. 2020. Volcanic ash ice-nucleating activity can be enhanced or depressed by ash-gas interaction in the eruption plume, Earth and Planetary Science Letters,551,116587. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2020.116587
- Casas, A.S., Wadsworth, F.B., Ayris, P.M., Delmelle, P., Vasseur, J., Cimarelli, C., Dingwell, D.B. 2019. SO2 scrubbing during percolation through rhyolitic volcanic domes, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 257:150-162. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gca.2019.04.013
- Tomašek, I. Damby, D.E., Horwell, C.J., Ayris, P.M., Delmelle, P., Ottley, C.J., Cubillas, P., Casas, A.S., Bisig, C., Petri-Fink, A., Dingwell, D.B., Clift, M.J., Drasler, B., Rothen-Rutishauser, B. 2019. Assessment of the potential for in-plume sulphur dioxide gas-ash interactions to influence the respiratory toxicity of volcanic ash. Environmental Res.Volume 179, Part A 108798. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2019.108798.
- Wadsworth, F., Unwin, H., Vasseur, J., Kennedy, B., Holzmueller, J., Scheu, B., Witcher, T., Adolf, J., Cáceres, F., Casas, A.S., Cigala, V., Clement, A., Colombier, M., Cronin, S., Cronin, M., Dingwell, D., Guimarães, L., Höltgen, L., Kueppers, U. & Weichselgartner, N. (2018). Trashcano: Developing a quantitative teaching tool to understand ballistics accelerated by explosive volcanic eruptions. https://doi.org/10.30909/vol.01.02.107126
- Mueller, S. B., Ayris, P. M., Wadsworth, F. B., Kueppers, U., Casas, A. S., Delmelle, P., Taddeucci, J., Jacob, M., & Dingwell, D. B. 2017. Ash aggregation enhanced by deposition and redistribution of salt on the surface of volcanic ash in eruption plumes. Scientific Reports, 7, 45762. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep45762.
- Casas, A.S., Armienta, M.A., Ramos, S. 2016. Sulfur speciation with high performance liquid chromatography as a tool for El Chichón volcano, crater lake monitoring. Journal of South American Earth Sciences, 72, 241-249. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsames.2016.09.001.