Dr AL (Lynton) Jaques PSM was formerly Chief Scientist at Geoscience Australia, Australia's national geoscience research and information agency. Prior to that he held a number of senior positions at Geoscience Australia and its predessors AGSO and BMR.
He led the Australian Energy Resource Assessment, an integrated scientific and economic analysis of Australia's non-renewable and renewable energy resources undertaken by Geoscience Australia and ABARES published in 2010.
He was chair of the scientific committee for the 34th International Geological Congress held in Brisbane in 2012.
He has authored/co-authored more than 120 publications and presented widely on Australian lamproites, kimberlites and diamonds, Papua New Guinea ophiolites, basalt genesis, and Australian mineral exploration and resources.
- Barrett, N, Jaques, A, Gonzalez-Alvarez, I et al. 2022, 'Ultra-Refractory Peridotites of Phanerozoic Mantle Origin: the Papua New Guinea Ophiolite Mantle Tectonites', Journal of Petrology, vol. 63, no. 3.
- Sudholz, Z, Yaxley, G, Jaques, A et al. 2021, 'Experimental recalibration of the Cr-in-clinopyroxene geobarometer: improved precision and reliability above 4.5 GPa', Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, vol. 176, no. 2.
- Yaxley, G, Kjarsgaard, B & Jaques, A 2021, 'Evolution of Carbonatite Magmas in the Upper Mantle and Crust', Elements, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 315-320.
- Sudholz, Z, Yaxley, G, Jaques, A et al. 2021, 'Ni-in-garnet geothermometry in mantle rocks: a high pressure experimental recalibration between 1100 and 1325°C', Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, vol. 176, no. 5.
- Jaques, A, Brink, F & Chen, J 2020, 'Magmatic haggertyite in olivine lamproites of the West Kimberley region, Western Australia', American Mineralogist, vol. 105, no. 11, pp. 1724-1733.
- Hoggard, M, Czarnota, K, Richards, F, Huston, D, Jaques, AL, Ghelichkhan, S, 2020, 'Global distribution of sediment-hosted metals controlled by craton edge stability', Nature Geoscience, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 504-510.
- Howell, D, Stachel, T, Stern, RA, Pearson, DG, Nestola, F, Hardman, MF, Harris, JW, Jaques, AL, Shirey, SB, Cartigny, P, Smit, KV, Aulbach, S, Brenker, FE, Jacob, DE, Thomassot, E, Walter, MJ, Navon, O 2020, 'Deep carbon through time: Earth's diamond record and its implications for carbon cycling and fluid speciation in the mantle', Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, vol. 275, pp. 99-122.
- Timmerman, S, Honda, M, Burnham, A et al. 2019, 'Primordial and recycled helium isotope signatures in the mantle transition zone', Science, vol. 365, no. 6454, pp. 692-694.
- Timmerman, S, Honda, M, Zhang, X et al. 2019, 'Contrasting noble gas compositions of peridotitic and eclogitic monocrystalline diamonds from the Argyle lamproite, Western Australia', Lithos, vol. 344-345, pp. 193-206.
- Timmerman S., Yeow H., Honda M., Howell D., Jaques A.L., Krebs M.,
Woodland S., Pearson D., Avila J.N., Ireland T., 2019, 'U-Th/He systematics of fluid-rich 'fibrous' diamonds - Evidence for pre- and syn-kimberlite eruption ages', Chemical Geology, vol. 515, pp. 22-36.
- Jaques, A.L. & Foley, S.F., 2018, 'Insights into the petrogenesis of the West Kimberley lamproites from trace elements in olivine', Mineralogy and Petrology, vol. 112, Supplement 2, pp. 519-537.
- Jaques, AL, Luguet, A, Smith, CB, Pearson, DG, Yaxley, GM & Kobussen, AF 2018, 'Nature of the Mantle Beneath the Argyle AK1 Lamproite Pipe: Constraints from Mantle Xenoliths, Diamonds, and Lamproite Geochemistry', in A.T. Davy, C.B. Smith, H. Helmstaedt, A.L. Jaques, J.J. Gurney (ed.), Geoscience and Exploration of the Argyle, Bunder, Diavik, and Murowa Diamond Deposits, Society of Economic Geologists, USA, pp. 119-143.
- Rayner, M.J., Moss, S.W., Lorenz, V., Jaques, A.L., et al 2018, 'New insights into volcanic processes from deep mining of the southern diatreme within the Argyle lamproite pipe, Western Australia', Mineralogy and Petrology, vol.112, Supplement 2, pp. 351-363.
- Rayner, MJ, Jaques, AL, Boxer, GL, Smith, CB, Lorenz, V, Moss, SW, Webb, K & Ford, D 2018, 'The Geology of the Argyle (AK1) Diamond Deposit,
Western Australia', in A.T. Davy, C.B. Smith, H. Helmstaedt, A.L. Jaques, J.J. Gurney (ed.), Geoscience and Exploration of the Argyle, Bunder, Diavik, and Murowa Diamond Deposits, Society of Economic Geologists, USA, pp. 89-117.
- Timmerman, S, Honda, M, Phillips, D et al 2018, 'Noble gas geochemistry of fluid inclusions in South African diamonds: implications for the origin of diamond-forming fluids', Mineralogy and Petrology, vol. 112, Supplement 1, pp. 181-195.
- Timmerman, S., Jaques, A.L, Weiss, Y., & Harris, J.W., 2018, 'N-d13C-inclusion profiles of cloudy diamonds from Koffiefontein: Evidence for formation by continuous Rayleigh fractionation and multiple fluids', Chemical Geology, vol. 483, pp. 31-46pp.
- Boxer, G.L., Jaques, A.L. & Rayner, M.J., 2018, 'Argyle (AK1) diamond deposit', in Phillips N. (ed.), Australian Ore Deposits, Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, Melbourne, Australia, pp. 527-532.
- Downes, P, Dunkley, D, Fletcher, I et al. 2016, 'Zirconolite, zircon and monazite-(Ce) U-Th-Pb age constraints on the emplacement, deformation and alteration history of the Cummins Range Carbonatite Complex, Halls Creek Orogen, Kimberley region, Western Australia', Mineralogy and Petrology, vol. 110, no. 2-3, pp. 199-222.
- Gwalani, L, Jaques, A.L, Downes, P et al 2016, 'Kimberlites, lamproites, carbonatites and associated alkaline rocks: a tribute to the work of Rex T. Prider', Mineralogy and Petrology, vol. 110, no. 2-3, pp. 149-153.
- Jaques, A.L. 2016, 'Major and trace element variations in oxide and titanate minerals in the West Kimberley lamproites, Western Australia', Mineralogy and Petrology, vol. 110, pp. 159-197.
- Downes, P, Demeny, A, Czuppon, G et al. 2014, 'Stable H-C-O isotope and trace element geochemistry of the Cummins Range Carbonatite Complex, Kimberley region, Western Australia: implications for hydrothermal REE mineralization, carbonatite evolution and mantle source regions', Mineralium Deposita, vol. 49, no. 8, pp. 905-932.
- Schulze, D,J., Harte, B., Edinburgh Ion Microprobe Facility staff, Page, F.Z., Valley, Channer, D.M.,DeR, and Jaques, A.L., 2013, 'Anticorrelation between low d13C of eclogitic diamonds and high d18O of their coesite and garnet inclusions requires a subduction origin', Geology, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 455-458.
- Jaques, A 2012, 'Foundations of wealth-Australia's major mineral provinces', in Richard Blewett (ed.), Shaping a Nation: A Geology of Australia, ANU ePress, Canberra, pp. 382-431.
- Geoscience Australia and ABARE, 2010. Australian Energy Resource Assessment, Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism, Geoscience Australia and ABARE, Canberra. 344pp.
- Luguet, A., Jaques, AL, Pearson, DG, Smith, CB, Bulanova, GP, Roffey, SL, Raynor, MJ, & Lorand, J-P 2009. An integrated petrological, geochemical and Re-Os isotope study of peridotite xenoliths from the Argyle lamproite, Western Australia and implications for cratonic diamond occurrences. Lithos 112S, 1096-1108.
- Hoatson, DM, Jaireth, S, & Jaques, AL, 2006. Nickel sulfide deposits in Australia: Characteristics, resources, and potential. Ore Geology Reviews 29, 177-241.
- Jaques, AL, Huleatt, MB, Ratajkoski, M, & Towner, RR, 2005. Exploration and discovery of Australia's copper, nickel, lead and zinc resources 1976-2004. Resources Policy, 30, 168-185.
- O'Neill, CJ, Moresi, L, & Jaques, AL, 2005. Geodynamic controls on diamond deposits: Implications for Australian occurrences. Tectonophysics, 404, 217-236.
- Jaques, AL, & Huleatt, MB, 2005. Australian gold exploration 1976-2003. Resources Policy, 30 (1),29-37
- Jaques, AL, & Milligan, PR, 2004. Patterns and controls on the distribution of diamondiferous intrusions in Australia. Lithos 77, 783-802.
- Jaques, AL Jaireth, S, & Walshe, JL, 2002. Mineral systems of Australia; an overview of resources, settings and processes. Australian Journal of Earth Sciences, 49(4), 623-660.
- Falloon, T.J.,Green, D.H., Jaques, A.L., & Hawkins, J.W., 1999. Refractory magmas in back-arc basin settings: Experimental constraints on the petrogenesis of a Lau Basin example. Journal of Petrology, 40, 255-277.
- Jaques, A.L, 1994. Diamonds in Australia. In Solomon, M and Groves, D.I., The Geology and Origin of Australia's Mineral Deposits, pp. 787 - 820. Oxford Monographs on Geology and Geophysics 24.
- Jaques, A.L., Hall, A.E., Sheraton, J., Smith, C.B., & Roksandic, C, Z., 1994.
Peridotitic planar octahedral diamonds from the Ellendale lamproite pipes, Western Australia. In Meyer H. O. A. and Leonardos O. H. (Eds). Proceedings of the Fifth International Kimberlite Conference, Araxa, Brazil 1991, Volume 2. Diamonds: Characterisation, Genesis and Exploration, CPRM Special Publication, pp. 69-77. Companhia de Pesquisa de Recursos
- Stachel, T., Lorenz, V., Smith, C.B., & Jaques, A.L., 1994. Evolution of four individual lamproite pipes, Ellendale volcanic field (Western Australia). In Meyer H. O. A. and Leonardos O. H. (Eds)., Proceedings of the Fifth International Kimberlite Conference, Araxa, Brazil 1991, Volume 1. Kimberlites, Related Rocks and Mantle Xenoliths, CPRM Special Publication, pp. 177-194. Companhia de Pesquisa de Recursos Minerais, Brasilia.
- Jaques, A.L., O'Neill, H.St.C., Smith, C.B., Moon, J. & Chappell, B.W., 1990.
Diamondiferous peridotite xenoliths from the Argyle (AK1) pipe. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, 104, 255-276.