Lecturer in Geology, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand (1982-1993); Fellow/Senior Fellow, Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies, ANU (1994-1997); Senior Fellow, Research School of Earth Sciences, ANU (1998-2006); Professor, Research School of Earth Sciences, ANU (2006-present); President, Geological Society of Australia (2010-2012); President, Australian & New Zealand Geomorphology Group (2008-2011); Director, National Rock Garden (2010-present); Member, International Commission on Stratigraphy (2003-present); President, INQUA Stratigraphy & Chronology Commission (2003-2011); Member, Editorial Board of Quaternary Science Reviews (1996-2013); Honorary Fellow, Royal Society of New Zealand (2007); Honorary Life Fellow, International Union for Quaternary Research (2015); Distinguished Geomorphologist Medal, Australian & New Zealand Geomorphology Group (2019)
- Westgate, J.A., Pillans, B.J., Alloway, B.V., Pearce, N.J.G., Simmonds, P. (2021). New fission-track ages of Australasian tektites define two age groups: discriminating between formation and reset ages. Quaternary Geochronology, 66, 101113.
- Macphail, M., Pillans, B., Hope, G. & Clark, D. (2020). Extirpations and extinctions: a plant microfossil-based history of the demise of rainforest and wet sclerophyll communities in the Lake George basin, Southern Tablelands of NSW, south-east Australia. Australian Journal of Botany, 68, pp. 208-228.
- Abrajevitch, A., Pillans, B., Roberts, A.P. & Kodama, K. (2018). Magnetic properties and paleomagnetism of Zebra Rock, Western Australia: chemical remanence acquisition in hematite pigment and Ediacaran field behavior. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 19, pp. 732-748.
- Johnson, M.O., Mudd, S.M., Pillans, B., Spooner, N.A., Fifield, L.K., Kirkby, M.J. & Gloor, M. (2014). Quantifying the rate and depth dependence of bioturbation based on optically stimulated luminescence (OSL) dates and meteoric 10Be. Earth Surface Processes & Landforms, 39, pp. 1188-1196.
- Pillans, B. & Fifield, L.K. (2013). Erosion rates and weathering history of rock surfaces associated with Aboriginal rock art engravings (petroglyphs) on Burrup Peninsula, Western Australia, from cosmogenic nuclide measurements. Quaternary Science Reviews, 69, pp. 98-106.
- Pillans, B. & Gibbard, P. (2012). The Quaternary Period. In: Gradstein, F., Ogg, J., Schmitz, M. & Ogg, G. (Eds). (2012). The Geological Time Scale 2012. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp. 979-1010.
- Bishop, P. & Pillans, B. (Eds). (2010). Australian Landscapes. Geological Society of London Special Publication 346, 328 pp.
- Smith, M.L, Pillans, B.J. & McQueen, K.G. (2009). Palaeomagnetic evidence for periods of intense oxidative weathering, McKinnons mine, Cobar, NSW. Australian Journal of Earth Sciences, 56, pp. 201-212.
- Pillans, B. (2008). Regolith through time. In: Scott, K.M. & Pain, C.F. (Eds.). Regolith Science. CSIRO Publishing, Collingwood, pp. 7-29.
- Pillans, B. (2007). Pre-Quaternary landscape inheritance in Australia. Journal of Quaternary Science, 22, pp. 439-447.
- Pillans, B., Alloway, B.V., Naish, T. R., Westgate, J.A., Abbott, S.T. & Palmer, A. (2005). Silicic tephras in Pleistocene shallow marine sediments of Wanganui Basin, New Zealand. Journal of the Royal Society of New Zealand, 35, pp. 43-90.
- Pillans, B., Williams, M., Cameron, D., Patnaik, R., Hogarth, J., Sahni, A., Sharma, J.C., Williams, F. & Bernor, R.L. (2005). Revised correlation of the Haritalyangar magnetostratigraphy, Indian Siwaliks: implications for the age of the Miocene hominids Indopithecus and Sivapithecus, with a note on a new hominid tooth. Journal of Human Evolution, 48, pp. 507-515.
- Pillans, B. & Naish, T. (2004). Defining the Quaternary. Quaternary Science Reviews, 23, pp. 2271-2282.