I am a professor of geophysics / geodynamics and I am interested in understanding the evolution of the deep Earth over geological time, how this evolution is recorded in the superficial geological record,and how to build computation modelling tools to simulate the Earth. The tools of my trade are computational programs and numerical algorithms.
I am a strong supporter of open source code so my publications will also find links to repositories where the source code is available with examples of how to reproduce peer-reviewed benchmarks and published results. Not surprisingly, I am also a believer in literate programming , recent examples are in the form of ipython / jupyter notebooks.
For more information about me, my work and some blog posts see http://www.moresi.info
Fellow, Australian Academy of Science, 2023
Fellow, American Geophysical Union, 2017
Fellow, Royal Astronomical Society, 2000
 Knuth, Donald E. (1984). "Literate Programming". The Computer Journal (British Computer Society) 27 (2): 97-111. doi:10.1093/comjnl/27.2.97.
- Mather, B, Muller, D, O'Neill, C et al. 2022, 'Constraining the response of continental-scale groundwater flow to climate change', Scientific Reports, vol. 12, no. 1.
- Yang, H, Moresi, L & Mansour, J 2021, 'Stress recovery for the particle-in-cell finite element method', Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors, vol. 311, pp. 1-23.
- Mansour, J, Giordani, J, Moresi, L et al. 2020, 'Underworld2: Python Geodynamics Modelling for Desktop, HPC and Cloud', The Journal of Open Source Software, vol. 5, no. 47, p. 1797.
- Moron, S, Kohn, B, Beucher, R et al. 2020, 'Denuding a Craton: Thermochronology Record of Phanerozoic Unroofing From the Pilbara Craton, Australia', Tectonics, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. -.
- Lecocq, T, Hicks, S, Koen, V et al. 2020, 'Global Quieting of High-Frequency Seismic Noise Due to COVID-19 Pandemic Lockdown Measures', Science, vol. 369, pp. 1338-1343.
- Sandiford, D, Moresi, L, Sandiford, M et al. 2020, 'The Fingerprints of Flexure in Slab Seismicity', Tectonics, vol. 39, no. 8.
- Kiraly, A, Portner, D, Haynie, K et al. 2020, 'The effect of slab gaps on subduction dynamics and mantle upwelling', Tectonophysics, vol. 785, pp. -.
- Yang, H, Moresi, L & Quigley, M 2020, 'Fault spacing in continental strike-slip shear zones', Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 530.
- Mulhaus, H & Moresi, L 2019, 'A Model for Trap Door Flow from a Deep Container', in Wei Wu (ed.), Desiderata Geotechnica, Springer International Publishing, Switzerland, pp. 113-118.
- Mather, B, Moresi, L & Rayner, P 2019, 'Adjoint inversion of the thermal structure of Southeastern Australia', Geophysical Journal International, vol. 219, no. 3, pp. 1648-1659.
- Carluccio, R, Kaus, B, Capitanio, F et al. 2019, 'The Impact of a Very Weak and Thin Upper Asthenosphere on Subduction Motions', Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 46, no. 21, pp. 11893-11905.
- Yang, T, Moresi, L, Gurnis, M et al. 2019, 'Contrasted East Asia and South America Tectonics Driven by Deep Mantle Flow', Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 517, pp. 106-116.
- Sandiford, D, Moresi, L, Sandiford, M et al. 2019, 'Geometric controls on flat slab seismicity', Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 527, no. 0.
- Moron, S, Cawood, P, Haines, P et al. 2019, 'Long-Lived Transcontinental Sediment Transport Pathways of East Gondwana', Geology, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 513-16.
- Sandiford, D & Moresi, L 2019, 'Improving Subduction Interface Implementation in Dynamic Numerical Models', Solid Earth, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 969-85.
- Beucher, R, Moresi, L, Giordani, J et al. 2019, 'UWGeodynamics: A Teaching and Research Tool for Numerical Geodynamic Modelling', The Journal of Open Source Software, vol. 4, no. 36, p. 1136.
- Moresi, L & Mather, B 2019, 'Stripy: A Python Module for (Constrained) Triangulation in Cartesian Coordinates and on a Sphere', The Journal of Open Source Software, vol. 4, no. 38, p. 1410.
- Mondy, L, Rey, P, Duclaux, G et al. 2018, 'The role of asthenospheric flow during rift propagation and breakup', Geology, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 103-106.
- Pall, J, Zahirovic, S, Doss, S et al. 2018, 'The influence of carbonate platform interactions with subduction zone volcanism on palaeo-atmospheric CO2 since the Devonian', Climate of the Past, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 857-870.
- Garber, J, Maurya, S, Hernandez, J et al. 2018, 'Multidisciplinary Constraints on the Abundance of Diamond and Eclogite in the Cratonic Lithosphere', Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 2062-2086.
- Yang, T, Moresi, L, Muller, D et al. 2017, 'Oceanic Residual Topography Agrees With Mantle Flow Predictions at Long Wavelengths', Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 44, no. 21, pp. 10,896-10,906.
- Sharples, W, Moresi, L, Velic, M et al. 2016, 'Simulating faults and plate boundaries with a transversely isotropic plasticity model', Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors, vol. 252, pp. 77-90.